Sukhasana (soo-KAH-Suh-nuh) opens the hips and lengthens the spine. Due to the lengthening of the spine, one’s breathing becomes deeper and easier, which also results in the relaxation of the other bodily systems – the nervous system, cardiovascular system, endocrine system, etc. This is a good replacement pose for Padmasana (Lotus Pose).
Sukhasana or Easy Pose is one of the best poses to practice for beginners. The pose is simple and easy, yet it provides a host of benefits for both the body and mind. As you continue to practice this pose, you will notice that your thoughts become clearer and you are better able to focus on the task at hand. The pose also helps relieve anxiety and stress, which can lead to a more positive mood overall. Additionally, Sukhasana aids in digestion increases flexibility in the legs and spine, and strengthens the abdominal muscles. For pregnant women, Sukhasana is beneficial as it stretches and strengthens the spine, opens up the hips and groin, and relieves back pain.
According to an article The ancient Vedic texts describe meditation as an exercise of consciousness that results in the expansion and increasing efficiency of one’s inner faculty. The process occurs without any direction from your mind, which can cause you to feel more at peace with yourself than ever before!
Easy Pose focuses on several muscles such as
- Spine Erectors
Ideal For Health Conditions
- Ideal for those who find difficulties while assuming other meditative postures, due to the tightness in the hip region.
- Ideal for those who want to practice Meditation.
- Helps in getting rid of Stress, Anxiety, and depression.
- Improves focus.
Benefits of Sukhasana (Easy Pose)
1. It Helps to Clear Your Thoughts
Practicing this pose helps to clear the thought process. As you begin to feel the stretch in your legs, this signals that all of the muscles are relaxed and tension is released.
2. It Helps with Anxiety
Sukhasana or Easy Pose helps relieve stress by calming the mind and soothing tense nerves. It also calms an overactive nervous system and can alleviate symptoms of depression, such as insomnia and loss of appetite.
3. Aids Digestion
Sukhasana (Easy Pose) improves digestion by increasing blood flow to the digestive organs, which aids in the proper functioning of these organs. The pose also strengthens abdominal muscles, improving their ability to absorb nutrients from food more efficiently.
4. Stretches Legs
Sukhasana stretches out tight hamstrings and calves, relieving pain associated with these muscles. It also opens up the ankles and knees, improving flexibility in these areas.
5. Good for Pregnant Women
Sukhasana is a great pose for pregnant women as it stretches and strengthens the spine, which can help reduce back pain. The pose also helps to open the hips and groin, making it more comfortable for women in their later stages of pregnancy.
6. Can be Practiced along with Meditation or Pranayama
Sukhasana falls under the category of meditative postures so it is ideal for those who want to practice meditation. The pose can also be practiced along with Pranayama exercises to increase the benefits.
7. It Lifts your Mood
Sukhasana lifts mood and relieves stress. It also helps to calm the mind, which in turn can help alleviate symptoms of depression such as insomnia or loss of appetite.
This pose should be avoided by those with knee injuries or a sprained ankle. Sit on a folded blanket and lean against a wall to keep the spine erect.
- Parivrtta Sukhasana (Revolved Easy Pose)
- Baddhakonasana or Titliasana (Butterfly Pose)
- Siddhasana (Accomplished Pose)
- Keep your spine erect throughout
- Make sure to improve your hip mobility to perform more balanced Meditative postures such as lotus pose (Padmasana).
- Do not practice this Pose for an extended duration of time.
How to do Easy Pose
- Sit on your yoga mat with your legs extended out in front of you.
- Bend your left knee and place your left foot on top of your right thigh, so that the sole of your left foot is resting against your right thigh.
- Bend your right knee and place your right foot beneath your left thigh, so that the sole of your right foot is resting under your left thigh.
- Adjust your body and legs to get comfortable in the pose.
- The head, neck, and spine should be erect (comfortably).
- Place your palms on your knees or thighs.
- Keep the shoulders relaxed and elbows a bit bent.
- Hold for five to ten minutes, then switch sides.
Mental Benefits of Easy Pose
- Benefits body and mind
- Thoughts will become clearer
- Relieves anxiety and stress
- A positive mood overall
- Can be practiced along with meditation
Sukhasana, or Easy Pose, is a simple and easy yoga pose that can be used to prepare for a more difficult Meditative pose or as a way to calm the mind and release tension. This pose strengthens the lower back and opens the hips and groins. For best results, combine Sukhasana with meditation.