The Detoxification Mudra is used to clear the mind and senses and improve overall health. Discover the meaning and benefits of this Mudra and how to do it properly.
Definition – What is Detoxification Mudra and its Meaning, References, and Mythology?
Detoxification Mudra is a sacred hand gesture/seal. As the name suggests, this Mudra detoxifies our body. It channelizes the energy of our body for the process of detoxification. It helps to clean all the impurities within us.
It not only removes toxins from our body but also helps clear the effects of bad memories. We all somewhere get affected by our past. And the ripple of thoughts chases us throughout our lives. That is why according to “Maharshi Patanjali,” Smriti is also a part of Vritti, the word Smriti can be translated into “Memory.” Vrittis are known as the thoughts that affect our consciousness. Many bad memories have permanent impressions on us. However, good and bad memories impact our consciousness relatively badly. If it was a good memory (Smriti), you start to miss it. Hence you feel bad. If it was a bad memory(Smriti), then as obvious it affects you in a bad way. Smriti even can cause imbalances in your Doshas (As we all know that according to Ayurveda, there are three significant Doshas: Vata Dosha, Pitta Dosha, and Kapha Dosha). So, if you want to eliminate the pains and sufferings that your Smriti or memory has caused, you should look towards this Mudra.
This Mudra helps to maintain the balance between all the Doshas.
This Mudra can even help you to break your negative habit patterns. If there are certain bad habits that you want to get rid of, then this Mudra will also help you to do that.
It is believed that we should go for detoxification at least once a year, and if you plan to do so, this Mudra will help accelerate the detox process.
If you fear something or have negative traits, it will help you to deal with them as well.
How to Do Detoxification Mudra?
- This Mudra does require you to perform while you are seated in any meditative posture as this Mudra requires more attention.
- It is believed that to maximize the benefits of this Mudra, you should practice it during meditation. Doing right during the meditation practice will help you overcome your bad traits, fears, etc.
- Rest both of your hands comfortably on your knee. Palms facing upward towards the sky.
- Keep all the fingers and thumb extended.
- Now, slowly and gently bring your thumb close to the root of your ring finger.
- Gently touch your thumb on the inner edge of the ring finger’s third joint (root).
- Keep remaining fingers extended to look distinctive from each other, or spread them out.
- Make sure to repeat the same on both of your hands.
- Keep your neck and spine comfortably straight.
- Completely close your eyes.
- Practice deep breathing, and if possible, try to keep a 1:2 inhalation and exhalation ratio. This will enable you to add detoxification even more.
- You can perform this Mudra while practicing different forms of meditation and pranayama.
Detoxification Mudra Benefits
- It helps to clean the body by removing impurities from the body.
- It also helps to diminish the effects of memories which is considered a type of Vritti.
- It helps you to overcome your bad habit patterns.
- It helps to fight your fears.
- It helps to fight bad traits.
- It releases negative energies from the mind and body.
- It helps to remain pure mentally, physically as well as spiritually.
- It helps remove the problems associated with the Earth’s element.
Detoxification Mudra Precautions and Contraindications
- One should take adequate rest when going through the detoxification process.
- Drink plenty of water while practicing this for proper detoxification.
- Place your thumb at the appropriate point to maximize the benefits.
- Practice it during meditation to gain maximum benefits.
- Make sure to take plenty of rest and sleep well during the process of detoxification.
When and How long to do Detoxification Mudra?
- This Mudra can be practiced when you feel that you want to clean your internal body.
- This Mudra can be practiced if you feel you are suffering from an unknown emotional cause.
- If you want to detoxify your mind and body.
- You can practice this if you want to remove problems caused by the Earth’s element.
Morning is the ideal time to do any yoga or Mudra. In the morning, at this time during the daytime, our brain is at its best. So, you are more likely to be able to concentrate easily. Therefore, you should practice this Mudra from 4 am and 6 am to get the most effective outcomes.
If you are having difficulty with this during the morning, you can do this Mudra later in the evening too.
Practicing this Mudra for a minimum of 20-40 minutes daily is recommended. Whether you wish to complete it in one stretch or two threes that last between 10 and 15 minutes, it’s up to you. Based on research, the best way to practice an exercise for at least 20 minutes is to get the best benefits of that particular Mudra.
Breathing in Detoxification Mudra
There are three types of breathing we can practice with this Mudra.
- You should practice deep breaths with a ratio of 1:2 inhalation and exhalation ratio. This will enable you to add a layer of detoxification.
Visualization in Detoxification Mudra
- Visualize that you are at a place where you feel most peaceful.
- Witness this state of your mind.
- Feel that any memories do not bind you.
- You are free from your past and living in the present.
- You are free.
Affirmation in Detoxification Mudra
While practicing this, Keep a positive intention. Start with:
“No memory can hold me back. I am free from all the toxins. I am free…….”
The Detoxification Mudra is a great way to improve your health and well-being. It has many benefits, including reducing stress, improving circulation, and helping to cleanse the body of toxins. If you’re interested in learning more about Mudras and how to use them for your own health and happiness, be sure to check out our Mudras Certification Course. This course includes all 108 Mudras and detailed instructions on how to do each one correctly. With regular practice, you’ll be able to see the fantastic benefits of this simple but powerful technique for yourself.