Find out what the Kamajayi Mudra is, its benefits, how to do it, and when to practice this mudra for benefits like peace of mind and self-confidence.
Definition – What is Kamajayi Mudra and its Meaning, References, and Mythology?
Kamajayi Mudra is a type of Hasta Mudra or hand gestures/seals. This is one of the Single handed gestures or Asamyukta Mudras. It is believed that practicing this Mudra helps to control excessive sexual energy and helps to convert it into Spiritual energy.
Let us simplify its meaning by breaking it down into simple words.
Kamajayi – the Sanskrit word Kamajayi is made of two different words: Kama + Jayi
Kama – “Kama” comes from Sanskrit origin, which means sexual urges.
Jayi – “Jayi” is a Sanskrit word that represents victory.
Mudra – As we all know, “Mudra” represents hand gestures, seals, or locks.
By this, we can understand that the purpose of this Mudra is to emerge victorious from excessive sexual thoughts and energies. This is why this Mudra is also known as the “Victory over Excessive Desires Gesture” or “Conquering Lust Gesture.”
This Mudra serves a great value to those who carry excessive desires. This Mudra is believed to convert your physical energy, which in Sanskrit is known as Ojas, into Spiritual or Positive or Creative energy, which in Sanskrit is known as Tejas. Once we understand our inner power and inner capabilities, then we learn to use such energy in the right way. Excessive sexual or desireful thoughts can affect one’s mental health. It can also negatively affect a person’s productivity, so it is crucial to understand the right balance. Balancing is the key to everything.
This Mudra is also believed to improve digestion and help to increase nutrient absorption.
Alternate Names of Kamajayi Mudra
“Victory over Excessive Desires Gesture” or “Conquering Lust Gesture.”
How to do Kamajayi Mudra?
- This Mudra doesn’t require you to perform while you are seated in any meditative posture as this Mudra can be practiced while standing, sitting, or prone/supine lying as well. So, you can practice it while practicing a standing posture or whenever you have the right mind to do it.
- This Mudra can also be practiced while walking and reclining as well.
- However, if you wish to practice it to maximize the gains out of this Mudra, then you should consider practicing it. At the same time, you are seated in any comfortable meditative posture along with pranayama or meditation. You can try Visualisation as well.
- There are different Meditative postures where you can sit for long periods, but you must ensure good mobility around the Hip joints. To do so, sit comfortably in any meditative posture.
- Keep your neck and spine comfortably straight.
- Rest both of your palms comfortably on your knee. Palms facing upward towards the sky.
- Gently, start to close your eyes completely.
- Now, Cover your right thumb-nail with your right index finger completely. You can even gently press your thumb-nail as well.
- Keep remaining fingers comfortable and curled.
- Practice deep breathing. And try to bring your awareness towards the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Make sure to hold it like this for 8-10 mins.
Kamajayi Mudra Benefits
- This Mudra practice helps to properly utilize the excessive sexual energy and convert it to Spiritual or creative energy.
- This Mudra practice helps to keep a person more productive at his work.
- Kamajayi Mudra practice aids in digestion. It is believed that practicing this Mudra helps in nutrient absorption. This Mudra is even believed to improve the process of elimination.
- It increases concentration as well and helps to control excessive desires.
Kamajayi Mudra Precautions and Contraindications
Similar to all other Mudra practices, it has no side effects.
However, there are a few things to consider:
- It is to be noted that sexual energies are also a crucial part of human life. They help keep your body healthy, motivated, and active if they are within limits. However, balance is the key to everything. Practice this Mudra whenever you feel that your desires have now become excessive.
- If you experience difficulties sitting due to tight muscles, please use something under your hip region to elevate it a little.
- Keep all the fingers in a comfortable position.
When and how long to do Kamajayi Mudra?
- This Mudra can be practiced when you feel you are putting much energy into thinking about lust or sexual stuff.
- You can practice this Mudra to control your desires.
Morning is the ideal time to do any yoga or Mudra. Our brain is at its best in the morning and during the daytime. So, you are more likely to be able to concentrate easily. Therefore, you should practice this Mudra from 4 am and 6 am to get the most effective outcomes.
If you are having difficulty with this during the morning, you can do this Mudra later in the evening too.
Practicing this Mudra for a minimum of 20 minutes daily, as much as eight times, is recommended. Whether you wish to complete it in one stretch or two threes that last between 10 and 15 minutes, it’s up to you. Based on research, the best way to practice an exercise for at least 20 minutes is to get the best benefits of that particular Mudra.
Breathing in Kamajayi Mudra
There are types of breathing that we can practice with this Mudra:
- Breathe from your belly, let your belly come out whenever you inhale, and let your belly sink in whenever you exhale.
Visualization in Kamajayi Mudra
- Remember that time when the Kama Sexual energy had overtaken you.
- Imagine that situation and try to overcome it with the help of Kamajayi Mudra.
Affirmation in Kamajayi Mudra
While practicing this, Keep a positive intention. Start with:
“With my practice, I will convert my Ojas or physical energy into Tejas or spiritual energy.”
Kamajayi Mudra is a gesture of the hand and fingers. This Mudra has powerful benefits for your health and well-being by stimulating different points on your hands. This Mudra can help to improve circulation, relieve stress, and boost energy levels. If you want to learn more about mudras and how to use them, we suggest checking out our Mudras Certification Course. This course includes 108 mudras, each with specific benefits and instructions on how to do them correctly.