Virabhadrasana II (veer-ah-bah-DRAHS-anna Two) is good for strengthening and toning the legs and buttocks. It also helps relieve cramps in the lower back, while strengthening it at the same time. The chest cavity is also opened, keeping the lungs healthy.
Yoga is a great way to improve your health and happiness. A 12 Week study conducted in Hongkong found that participants had improved balance, flexibility, as well as stress levels after practicing Hatha Yoga, poses such as Warrior Pose, or similar sequences many times over 12 weeks.
Warrior II Pose focuses on several muscles such as
- Shoulders and Arms
- Spine Erectors
Ideal For Health Conditions
- Improves Hip mobility.
- It improves the range of motion.
- Stretches the leg muscles.
Benefits of Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II
1. Produces Heat Inside the Body
The Warrior Pose is a vigorous asana that produces heat inside the body. This helps to burn calories, detoxify the body and increase flexibility.
2. Stretches the Hamstrings
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose stretches the hamstring muscles located at the back of your thighs. This is beneficial if you sit all day long in front of a computer or have a sedentary lifestyle.
3. Strengthens the Shoulders and Arms
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose helps to strengthen the muscles in your shoulders, chest, and arms. It also helps to open up the chest cavity, which is good for your lungs.
4. Reduces Stress and Anxiety
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose helps to reduce stress and anxiety by calming the mind and nervous system. It also helps to improve concentration and focus.
5. Helps to Relieve Cramps in the Lower Back
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose helps to relieve cramps in the lower back by stretching and strengthening the muscles in that area.
6. Tones the Legs and Buttocks
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose tones the muscles in your legs and buttocks. It is especially beneficial if you sit all day long and have a sedentary lifestyle.
7. It Strengthens Adductors and Quads
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose helps to strengthen the adductor muscles located in the inner thighs. It also helps to tone the quadriceps, which are the muscles located in the front of your thighs.
8. Helps to Improve Knee Joint Functioning
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose helps to improve knee joint functioning. This is beneficial if you have pain in your knees or experience difficulty in bending them.
9. Therapeutic for Flat Feet, Sciatica, Osteoporosis, Carpal Tunnel, and Infertility
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose is therapeutic for a number of health conditions, including flat feet, sciatica, osteoporosis, carpal tunnel, and infertility.
Those who are menstruating or pregnant should not hold this pose too long. A simple variation of the same asana can be taken on a chair.
- Virabhadrasana I (High Lunge Pose or Warrior I)
- Lunge Pose with Aeroplane arms.
- Aswa Sanchalan (Equestrian Pose)
- Anjaneyasana (Low Lunge Pose)
- Utthan Pristhasana (Lizard Pose)
- You can also widen your stance if you find it difficult to maintain your balance.
- When bending the knee over the ankle, make sure that you don’t let your hip jut out to the side. Keep your pelvis square to the front.
- If you have any problems with your knees, you can practice this pose with your back against a wall.
- Make sure to improve your hip mobility to correctly adopt this pose.
How to do Warrior II Pose
- Start in Tadasana or Mountain Pose.
- Step your feet about four feet apart, with your left foot turned out 90 degrees and your right foot turned in slightly.
- Align your heels with each other.
- Raise your arms parallel to the floor, and turn your right palm to face forward.
- Exhale and bend your left knee over your left ankle, so that your thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Make sure that your shin is perpendicular to the floor and that your knee is directly over your ankle.
- Your neck should be turned to the left.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides, parallel to the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Release and repeat on the other side.
Mental Benefits of Warrior II Pose
- Calm the mind
- Deeper relaxation
- More restful sleep
The Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose is a powerful asana that offers a number of benefits for your body and mind. It is a great pose to practice if you want to improve your strength, stamina, and concentration. It is also therapeutic for a number of health conditions. So, if you are looking for a powerful asana that can offer you many benefits, the Virabhadrasana II or Warrior II pose is definitely worth trying out!