Eka Hasta Bhujasana (Eh-kah Ha-stah Boo-JAS-ah-nah) strengthens the wrists, arms and shoulders, strengthens the core, and opens the hips.
The study found that short-term yogic practice may significantly improve sports such as cricket-specific motor fitness components especially muscle endurance, agility, and balance. This indicates that Yoga can be practiced to improve sports-specific performances as well.
Elephant’s Pose focuses on several muscles such as
- Thighs (Quadriceps)
- Biceps and Triceps
- Core muscles
- Calf Muscles
- Back muscles
Ideal For Health Conditions
- Releases muscles around the knee.
- Strengthens quads or front thigh muscles.
- Prevents Flat Feet condition.
- Strengthens and tones the side muscles (Obliques).
Benefits of Eka Hasta Bhujasana or Eka Pada Bhujasana or Elephant’s Trunk Pose
1. Improves Concentration
Eka Hasta Bhujasana or Eka Pada Bhujasana or Elephant’s Trunk Pose helps in improving concentration. It is an effective way to get rid of all distractions from your mind and body.
2. Improves Digestion
Regular practice of this pose stimulates the digestive system, thus improving the digestion process. This pose also helps in pulling out toxins from our body and improves bowel movements.
3. Tones up Abdominal Muscles
The regular practice of this asana tones up the belly area and makes it flat, smooth, firm, and flexible. Helps in getting rid of stomach fat too.
4. Relieves Backache
This pose stretches your spine which relieves you from lower back pain or any other type of aches like arthritis.
5. Benefits the Nerves
It helps in strengthening your nervous system and also stimulates it, thus improving its performance.
6. Relieves Stress
This pose relieves you from all kinds of stress by calming down your mind, body, and soul.
7. Controls Obesity
The regular practice of this yoga asana helps in controlling obesity too.
8. Reduces Migraine Attacks
Eka Hasta Bhujasana or Eka Pada Bhujasana or Elephant’s Trunk Pose gives a great stretch to our neck, shoulder, and upper back which loosens up the stiff muscles and reduces migraines which are usually caused due to muscle tension.
9. It Strengthens Arms, Shoulder, and Core
This asana helps in strengthening the muscles of our arms, shoulders, and core. It also improves the flexibility and balance of these body parts.
10. Stretches Hip and Groin
This yoga asana stretches your hips and groin which is very beneficial for people who sit for long hours or have tight hips.
11. Promotes Inner Strength
The regular practice of this pose makes you emotionally stronger from within. You learn to control your anger, frustration, jealousy, etc, with time.
12. Energizes Body and Mind
Eka Hasta Bhujasana or Eka Pada Bhujasana or Elephant’s Trunk Pose energizes both your body and mind by stimulating all the energy points (chakras) present in it.
Avoid or modify this pose if you have wrist, arm, shoulder, spinal or hip injuries. Those with high blood pressure and women who are pregnant should avoid this pose.
- Elephant’s Pose with Yoga Blocks
- Kakasana (Crow Pose)
- Lolasana (Pendant Pose)
- Naukasana (Boat Pose)
- Use a Yoga Block to make it more comfortable.
- If you are new to practicing Eka Hasta Bhujasana, try it next to a wall. You can rest your foot against the wall for extra support during balancing.
How to do Elephant’s Pose
- To begin, sit in Dandasana or staff pose with your legs outstretched in front of you.
- Bend your right knee and bring it toward your chest.
- Place your right foot on the ground and tiptoe it out to the right as far as you can. Reach your right arm underneath your right knee and place your hand on the ground with fingers pointing forward.
- Now, extend your left leg straight out to the side and place your left hand on the ground outside of your left hip on an equal plane with your right hand.
- Walk your right leg up your right arm until the crease of your knee comes to rest on your right upper arm.
- Lift your entire body weight on both of your arms and maintain balance.
- Hold for 30 seconds or as long as you comfortably can.
Mental Benefits of Elephant’s Pose
- Calms down your mind, body, and soul.
- Energizes the whole body.
- Energizes both physically and mentally.
The Eka Hasta Bhujasana or Eka Pada Bhujasana or Elephant’s Trunk Pose is a great pose for beginners. It has many benefits like improving concentration, digestion, toning up abdominal muscles, relieving backache, strengthening the nervous system, reducing migraine attacks, etc. The regular practice of this yoga asana improves the flexibility of your arms, shoulders, and core. It also stretches your hips and groin. Doing this pose makes you mentally stronger and helps in controlling obesity too.