A complete guide to the bhoochari Mudra and its benefits. This article provides a step-by-step approach to explain what is the bhoochari Mudra and its benefits.
Definition – What is Bhoochari Mudra and its Meaning, References, and Mythology?
Bhoochari Mudra is one of the Mudras, gestures, or seals. Sometimes also called “Gazing into nothingness” Mudra.
To understand this Mudra better, let us break it down into different parts:
“Bhoochari” word is made of two different words.
Bhoo – the word “Bhoo” or “Bhu” is used to describe Mother Earth.
And “Chari” – the word “Chari” is used to describe Movement.
“Mudra” – the word “Mudra” is used to describe a gesture or seal.
As the name suggests, the Bhoochari Mudra is also associated with the Earth element. This Mudra can be practiced by including the Nasikagra Drishti as well. So, if practiced with Nasikagra Drishti correctly, it is also believed that it can increase the sense of smell. The smell is also related to the Earth element. According to the Sankhya philosophy, our smell is associated with the Earth element.
This helps to slow the thought process. It helps to bring a sense of peace and calmness into the mind and body. The Bhoochari Mudra can be assumed while practicing various Pranayama and Meditation techniques. This Mudra is associated with the Ajna Chakra or the Third eye Chakra.
This Mudra helps to resolve issues that are related to anger. It makes us more aware of the inner self. Practicing it also makes you more introverted.
Alternate Name of Bhoochari Mudra
“Gazing into nothingness,” Mudra.
How to Do Bhoochari Mudra?
- This Mudra is based on eyesight and observing this mind.
- This is one of the Mudra which should be practiced while assuming a sitting Meditative Posture, as this Mudra requires more concentration. You can practice this Mudra while assuming Padma asana (Lotus Pose), Sukhasana (Easy cross-legged seated pose or simply easy pose), Siddhasana (Accomplished Pose), or Swastikasana (Auspicious Pose).
- After assuming the posture, slowly rest your hand comfortably on your knees. The palms should be facing downward.
- Now, slowly bring your right arm up so that your right thumb should be slightly touching your upper lip while your fingers should remain extended and facing downward.
- Now, start to gaze toward the little finger of your right hand without blinking your eyes. Try to maintain your focus at this point.
- Then, keep gazing at the same focal point without changing focus and slowly bring your right arm back to your right knee.
- Gaze into nothingness. Try to keep your thoughts empty. Let no thought enter your mind.
- Deep breaths in and deep breaths out.
- If you lose focus, bring your right hand to the same point.
- You can practice this Mudra with Nasikagra Drishti as well.
- This Mudra can be assumed while practicing various Dharna (concentration) and Dhyana (Meditation).
Bhoochari Mudra Benefits
- This brings peace to mind. Your mind becomes still, calm and peaceful.
- This helps to activate the Ajna Chakra.
- This Mudra helps to increase focus and bring clarity to life. It helps improve the mind’s overall thought process and gives life clarity.
- If practiced with Nasikagra Drishti, then it can increase the sense of smell.
- This helps to control anger and emotions, etc. related issues.
- It removes the negative emotions from our life, such as depression and anxiety.
- This Mudra also helps to increase awareness. This Mudra makes us more aware of the inner self and improves our attention.
- This Mudra is believed to improve our memory retention power as well.
- It helps to balance your energy.
Bhoochari Mudra Precautions and Contraindications
There are a few things to consider:
- You should discontinue the practice if you experience any discomfort in your eyes.
- You should not exert any strain on your eyes.
- You should not practice if you are suffering from Glaucoma, retinopathy, and diabetes.
- If you have had some eye-related surgery recently, practice it is not advisable.
- If you have spine-related issues, you can practice this Mudra while sitting on a chair.
When and how long to do Bhoochari Mudra?
- This Mudra can be practiced if you want to triumph over your anger and other such emotions.
- If you want to fight negative emotions such as depression and anxiety.
- You can practice this to bring calmness and stillness.
- It can help to keep your thought process clean.
Morning is the ideal time to do any yoga or Mudra. Our brain is at its best in the morning and during the daytime. So, you are more likely to be able to concentrate easily. Therefore, you should practice this Mudra from 4 am and 6 am to get the most effective outcomes.
If you are having difficulty with this during the morning, you can do this Mudra later in the evening too.
Based on research, the best way to practice an exercise for at least 10-20 minutes is to get the best benefits of that particular Mudra. Practicing this Mudra for a minimum of 3-5 times daily is recommended. It’s up to you whether you wish to complete it in one stretch or in two threes that last between 1 to 5 minutes.
Breathing in Bhoochari Mudra
You can practice different breathing techniques with this Mudra. You can start with:
- Practicing Abdominal breathing: When you inhale, let the diaphragm contract and let your stomach come out. And when you exhale, let the diaphragm and your stomach relax.
Visualization in Bhoochari Mudra
- Visualize that the cloud surrounds the sun.
- But from the gap, rays are falling into a river.
- Due to this, the surface of the water shines very brightly.
Affirmation in Bhoochari Mudra
While practicing this, Keep a positive intention. Start with:
“I am an angel for myself. I am here to live my life happily.”
The bhoochari Mudra is a sitting yogic gesture with many benefits, including reducing stress and promoting relaxation. If you’re interested in learning more about this Mudra and others like it, check out our Mudras Certification Course. This course covers all 108 mudras, providing detailed instructions on how to perform each one correctly. With regular practice of these mudras, you can enjoy improved health and well-being.