Chakra is a Sanskrit word that means “wheel” or “disc”.
In yoga, chakras are energy centers in the body. They are an important part of the human energy system and understanding them can help you to better understand and manage your energy.
There are seven main chakras in the body, and each one is associated with different aspects of our lives.
There are many benefits of balancing or opening the chakras. When your chakras are open, you experience more energy, better health, and a deeper connection to the spiritual realm.
Additionally, our intuition is heightened, and we become more open to new experiences.
When your chakras are blocked, you tend to experience decreased energy, illness, and a disconnection from the spiritual realm. It is important to keep the chakras open, so you can experience all that life has to offer.
The first in the row is the root chakra which is located at the base of the spine and is responsible for grounding us in the physical world.
Let’s explore the benefits of opening the root chakra.
The pathway to understanding, balancing, and opening chakras is long and deep. To gain an in-depth understanding of chakras you can access our course “Understanding Chakras“.
The Functionalities of the Root Chakra
The Root Chakra is located at the base of the spine and is responsible for our feelings of safety and security in the world.
It governs how we ground ourselves and connect with the earth, and is essential for our physical and emotional health. It also provides a sense of belonging and connection to self and others.
When this chakra is open and functioning properly, we feel strong, stable, and secure.
You can meet your needs, take care of yourself, and feel confident in your ability to survive and thrive in the world. You’re able to handle challenges and adversity with ease and navigate through life’s ups and downs with confidence.
The Root Chakra is associated with the color red and is linked to the element earth.
It governs our basic needs and instincts, such as hunger, thirst, and sex. It also influences our sense of smell, and how we take in and process information from the world around us.
When this chakra is blocked or out of balance, we may feel insecure, unsupported, and disconnected from our physical reality.
We may have difficulty meeting our basic needs and be unable to properly take care of ourselves. Our sense of smell may be somewhat impaired, and we may have difficulty perceiving what is happening in the present moment.
The root chakra is associated with our basic needs and instincts, such as hunger, thirst, and sex.
It helps us to feel safe and secure and provides a sense of stability and foundation. It’s important to keep it balanced to feel secure, supported, and connected to our physical reality.
Tips to Open the Root Chakra
The Root Chakra can be balanced and opened through activities that connect us with the earth, such as gardening, walking in nature, or meditating on red crystals. We can also work to exhort our feelings of safety and security through various other practices.
To open the Root Chakra, you can try some of the following practices:
- Visualize a red light flowing into your chakra.
- Chant the base mantra ‘Lam’ in a meditative pose for 11 mins each day. This will help get your energy moving more efficiently in the chakra.
- Imagine that you are standing in a sturdy and supportive tree trunk.
- Spend time in nature, connecting with the Earth’s energy.
- Use grounding exercises like walking in nature or sitting barefoot on the ground.
- Connect with your primal instincts and allow yourself to feel safe and secure.
- Meditate on the mantra “I am grounded and stable.”
- Meditate on the qualities of security, grounding, and dependability.
- Practice yoga poses that open the hips and legs, such as Downward Dog or Warrior.
- Eat grounding foods such as root vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
- Spend time with people who make you feel safe and supported.
- Connect with your sense of roots and belonging by spending time with family and friends.
- Practice self-compassion and self-care.
- Incorporate symbols of security and stability into your life, such as a rock or a tree.
Use help from other esoteric means such as:
- Use essential oils. Essential oils like vetiver, black pepper, and ginger can help open the root chakra.
- Listen to drumming or tribal music. This type of music can help energize and open the root chakra.
- Use crystals. Crystals like red jasper, garnet, and ruby can help energize and open the root chakra.
- Connect with your animal totem. Animals that represent the root chakra include bears, tigers, and wolves. Connecting with the energy of these animals can help open the root chakra.
Incorporating the Practices into Your Daily Routine
It’s easy to list down things that can help open the chakra, yet most importantly create a daily ritual around them. There are many things you can do each day to help balance your root chakra.
One simple way is to take some time each morning to focus on your grounding. This could involve spending a few minutes in nature, sitting with your feet rooted to the ground, or practicing some yoga poses that help you feel connected to the earth.
Or if you are in a rush, then just sit for 5 minutes taking deep breaths and repeating the mantra ‘I am grounded and stable’.
You might also want to incorporate some of the following into your daily routine: eating grounding foods like root vegetables and fruits, listening to calming music, meditating, practicing deep breathing exercises, spending time with loved ones, or taking a relaxing bath. Even this much is a good start.
Benefits of Opening Root Chakra
- More Focused and in the Present State of Mind
You will also feel more stable and secure, which will give you a healthy survival instinct. You can trust yourself to be reliable and responsible, and you will feel a sense of belonging in the world.
You will feel grounded and connected to yourself and others, which will give you the ability to care for yourself. You’ll have a strong drive to live and be more successful in achieving your goals.
- Less Affected by Stress and Anxiety
You will be more resistant to physical and emotional illness, and you will have a stronger immune system. You will be able to handle challenging situations more effectively, and you will be less likely to experience depression or other negative emotions.
- More Sexually Satisfied and Emotionally Fulfilled in Your Relationships
You will feel more strongly attracted to healthy, supportive partners, and less likely to engage in unhealthy or destructive relationships. You will feel more comfortable with who you are, and be better able to give and receive love freely.
- Ability to Manifest Your Goals and Desires More Easily
You will be more successful in achieving your goals, and less likely to experience frustration or disappointment.
- A Sense of Inner Peace and Calm
You will be less prone to stress and anxiety, and better able to stay in the present moment.
- Less Judgmental and More Forgiving
You will be more accepting of yourself and others, and less likely to experience anger or resentment. You will feel more connected to yourself and others, and less likely to experience negativity.
- Greater Sense of Inner Peace and Calm
You will focus on what is important and approach situations with a more positive attitude. You’ll find peace within yourself, which will lead to feeling happy and contented.
- A Sense of Inner Power and Confidence
You will feel more motivated to achieve your goals, and be less likely to experience self-doubt or insecurity. You will feel more clarity and stability, and less distracted by external pressures.
- A Sense of Joy and Happiness
You will be more content with your life, and your previously experienced sense of competition, jealousy, and insecurities will fade off with time.
- A Stronger Sense of Self-Identity
You will feel more effective, sharp, and powerful in what you do, say, and believe.
- A Stronger Sense of Purpose in Life
With time, you will begin to feel almost unshakeable. An unknown passion will begin to empower you, especially for the well-being of your tribe, community, or country.
After opening your Root Chakra, you may notice a renewed sense of grounding and stability. You may also find that you are better able to meet your basic needs and take care of yourself.
You will feel more confident and capable, both in your personal and professional life. Additionally when your root chakra is open, you will be better able to manifest your desires and experience a sense of abundance and security in your life.
The Learnings in a Nutshell
Balanced chakras are an important aspect of overall health and well-being. When our chakras are in balance, we experience physical, emotional, and spiritual harmony.
There are many ways to incorporate chakra opening/balancing practices into your life, and they can be tailored to fit your individual needs.
You can join specialized chakra balancing/healing classes or access our detailed course Understanding Chakras here. The knowledge you’ll gain here will go a long way in your pursuit of delving deep into chakras.