Vakrasana (vakra āsana) massages the abdominal organs, helps facilitate digestion and regulates the secretion of digestive juices. These reduce constipation and stomach diseases. The twist also helps reduce belly fat. It increases the elasticity of the spine and relieves vertebrae stiffness. Additionally, it stretches the hip joints and the legs.
Yoga has been shown to help people with type 2 diabetes by improving their blood glucose levels. The latest research shows that yoga can increase insulin sensitivity and reduce stress, all of which are vital for controlling the illness’s symptoms as well as preventing complications like heart disease or kidney failure!
Twisted Pose focuses on several muscles such as
- Core (External and Internal Obliques)
- Shoulders and Chest
- Arms and Shoulders
- Spine Erectors
Ideal For Health Conditions
- It improves the alignment of the spine.
- Stimulates Vagus Nerve.
- Aids digestion.
Benefits of Vakrasana or Simple Spinal Twist or Twisted Pose
1. Helps to Improve Spinal Health
The twist helps to increase spinal suppleness and make the spine more flexible by reducing stiffness. Additionally, This not only increases flexibility but also tones spinal nerves and back muscles to reduce backache.
2. Facilitates Digestion
The pose stimulates the pancreas and is therefore beneficial for people with diabetes. It also helps to correct digestion problems by proper secretion of stomach acid.
3. Reduces Belly Fat
The twist helps reduce belly fat as it massages the abdominal organs and tones the muscles.
4. Relieves Stiffness of Spine
The pose relieves the stiffness of the spine and makes it flexible.
5. Stretches Hip Joints andLegs
Vakrasana stretches the hip joints and legs, which is beneficial for people with tight hips.
6. Helps to Relieve Constipation
The twist helps to relieve constipation and other stomach problems.
7. Tones the Body
Apart from providing many health benefits, Vakrasana is a great pose to tone the body.
8. Helps to Manage Diabetes
The twist helps to manage diabetes by stimulating the pancreas.
Avoid this asana if you have ulcers, slipped disc, or severe spine, shoulder, or hip injury. Also, as a closed twist, women who are pregnant should avoid this pose.
- Chair Seated Twists
- Vakrasana (Twisted Pose)
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the Fishes Pose)
- Parivrtta Sukhasana (Revolved Easy Pose)
- If you find it difficult to touch the outside of your left leg with your right arm, then place a blanket or bolster beside your left foot and rest your right arm on it. This will make it easier for you to twist.
- Make sure that while twisting, you keep the spine straight and do not hunch over.
- Do not force yourself into the pose if you are unable to do so. Instead, relax in Sukhasana (Easy Pose) and practice this pose daily until you become comfortable doing it.
- Once you are able to do the pose comfortably, try doing it without support from a blanket or bolster.
How to do Vakrasana or Simple Spinal Twist or Twisted Pose
- Sit in Dandasana keeping the legs extended.
- Bend the left leg from the knee and place the foot beside the right knee.
- Now, twist your waist towards the left as you exhale.
- Bring the appropriate arm toward the left side leg in such a way that the outer aspect of your right arm touches the outside edge of your left leg, and place your hand beside your foot.
- Take your left arm behind, keeping it on the floor.
- make sure that your trunk is kept erect with a proper twist.
- Repeat this pose on the opposite side.
Mental Benefits of Vakrasana or Simple Spinal Twist or Twisted Pose
- Relieves symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Induces a feeling of happiness.
- Strengthens willpower
- Brings discipline to the practitioner.
Vakrasana or Simple Spinal Twist or Twisted Pose is a simple yet effective yoga pose that provides a range of health benefits. It stimulates the pancreas, facilitates digestion, reduces belly fat, and relieves stiffness of the spine. Additionally, it stretches the hip joints and legs. Practicing this pose on a regular basis can help improve spinal health, digestion, and reduce backache. So go ahead and give it a try.